The State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT Kerala) is an autonomous body of the Department of General Education; Government of Kerala. It is established on the lines of NCERT at the national level, and is a resource body in the academic matters of school education – from Preprimary to Higher secondary. The multifarious functions of the institution ranges from policy formulation, curriculum development, preparation of teaching-learning materials, educational researches, vocationalisation of education etc. to teacher education programmes of the state.
The Hon’ble Minister for Education is the Chairman of the General Body and the Governing Body of SCERT. Headed by a Director, SCERT plans, coordinates and evaluates all academic programmes from pre-school level to higher secondary. Since its inception in 1994, SCERT has been functioning as the apex body at the State level, playing a crucial role in improving the quality of school education in the State of Kerala.
SCERT is committed to quality initiatives in school education, by implementing curriculum, preparing resource materials and developing evaluation system that ensures quality education in the schools of Kerala. The State Institute of Education (SIE), which earlier functioned as part of the Department of General Education, was up scaled as SCERT, to enable a new vision to school education in the State.
The institution focuses on specialized areas such as:
- developing curriculum for all stages of school education
- developing textbooks, teacher texts and other related materials
- developing evaluation strategies
- developing materials for pre-primary and pre-service teacher education
- developing models of educational technology and digital contents
- developing and releasing various publications
- documentation and dissemination of activities
- conducting researches
- promoting non-formal education, special education and population education
- promoting art education, health education and vocational education
managing public relations