The Department of Educational Technology works for the development, application and evaluation of systems, techniques and aids in the field of teaching and learning. It also helps other faculties in improving their transactional strategies.
The functions of this department
- Implementing IT in schools, using computer as a tool for acquiring and using information and knowledge
- Preparing IT textbooks
- Preparing teacher texts
- Preparing evaluation materials
- Developing a common vision about the implementation of programmes of SIET and its functioning in the Kerala context with the help of experts in the field of IT
- Developing CDs and softwares for subjects in school classes, with the help of IT and subject experts
- Cooperating with various workshops of SSA and RMSA to develop modules and materials related to IT consolidating the status of the laboratory work in schools
Educational technology is an inclusive term for the tools that technologically or electronically support learning and teaching. Technology enhanced learning pertains to the use of any kind of technology which enhances human learning. It includes the use of any technology right from popular chalk, board and printed material to internet for enhancing learning. What is more important is the appropriateness of the application of right technology to suit the objectives of learning, content of learning, teaching and learning context and the target group. Academic success can be ensured only through the effective use of right technology.
Information and communication technology (ICT)
ICT is another/ extensional term for information technology. Educational technology is not restricted to high technology. However, modern electronic educational technology has become an important part of society today. Hence the role of ICT cannot be denied in the teaching-learning process. The use of ICT in education lends itself to move to student centered learning. As the world is moving rapidly into digital media and information, the role of ICTs in education is becoming more and more significant.
Activities of department
Development of KALIPETTI
- The education department of government of Kerala has introduced new information communication technology (ICT) textbooks for the primary classes from 1 to 4 through its IT@ school project. A new textbook named ‘Kalipetti’ has been developed in an edutainment manner which integrates even games through meaningful learning situation.The textbooks contain educational applications like GCompris which is a collection of learning games for students. Softwares like pySio Game, Ominitux and Tuxpaint would help in enhancing logical thinking, co-relations and memorizations in kids. While Anagramarama education software can be used to increase language ability. The games are organized in such a manner to equip the students to deal with various primary class contents such as arithmetic trainings, language exercises, and class room activities such as reading, drawing, comprehension, numeric, dialogues, pattern making and colour acquaintance stage by stage.